Vision Statement of Kawaiaha‘o Church
Honor God, love one another, and make disciples.
E ho‘omaika‘i i ke Akua, E aloha kekahi i kekahi a me E ho‘ohaumana.
Kawaiaha‘o Church honors and affirms Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior. Through God’s word expressed through worship, education, and mission, we will equip God’s disciples unto faithfulness and fruitfulness. We will clearly represent Jesus Christ to others and perpetuate our Hawaiian cultural heritage.
Our God-inspired love for each person; (John 13:34-35)
Our love, inspired by God’s love for us and the teachings of Jesus Christ directs us to look beyond the transgressions of others and encourages us to embrace all people with aloha.
Clearly representing to others, Jesus Christ and all He exemplifies, we, as members of Christ’s Church are to exalt and draw attention to Christ in understandable ways; (2 Corinthians 4:5-6; Acts 20:20-27)
Each gathering of the Church or parts of the Church is to exalt and draw attention to the Person of Jesus in plain and understandable ways through Biblical teaching, praise, prayer, fellowship and ministry.
The nurturing and releasing of personal gifts; (Ephesians 4: 1-7; 11-16)
The Church is not designed to be one person’s responsibility. The Church is meant to be a family of believers in obedience to the Lord Jesus Christ and in cooperation with one another. As Christ equips His people, the Church will grow into a living and dynamic body of Christ.
A healing and restoring Christ; (Matthew 11:28-30)
The Kawaiaha‘o ‘ohana practices love, cares for and serves others, and forgives one another according to God’s word so that people will be able to receive God’s healing and comfort.
Reaching out to people with the Good News of the Savior; (Acts 2:21; 37-39; Matthew 28:19-20)
We, the Church, acknowledge the Great Commission, give opportunities to people to share Christ’s fellowship with one another and the Good News of Jesus as Lord through foundational instructions and follow up. God’s love, experienced as seen in His Son, Jesus Christ, who for our sins, gave his life that we might have eternal life, will always cause us to reach out to those who have not yet chosen Christ.
Through the inspiration of God, Kawaiaha‘o Church, as the Mother Church of Hawai‘i, through Christian worship, education and mission shall perpetuate and shall keep alive our Hawaiian Cultural Heritage. (Malachi 3:10; 1 Corinthians 3:6)
Statement of Faith (of the United Church of Christ)
- “We believe in God, the Eternal Spirit, Father of our Lord Jesus Christ and our Father, and to His deeds we testify:
- He calls the Worlds into being, creates man in His own image and sets before Him the ways of Life and Death.
- He seeks in Holy love to save all people from aimlessness and sin.
- He judges men and Nations by His righteous will declared through Prophets and Apostles.
- In Jesus Christ, the Man of Nazareth, our crucified and risen Lord, He has come to us and shared our common lot, conquering sin and death and reconciling the World to Himself.
- He bestows upon us His Holy Spirit, creating and renewing the Church of Jesus Christ, binding in covenant faithful people of all ages, tongues, and races.
- He calls us into His church to accept the cost and joy of discipleship, to be His servants in the service of men, to proclaim the Gospel to all the WorId and resist the powers of evil, to share in Christ’s baptism and eat at His table, to join Him in His passion and victory.
- He promises to all who trust Him forgiveness of sins and fullness of grace, courage in the struggle for justice and peace, His presence in trial and rejoicing, and Eternal Life in His kingdom which has no end.
- Blessing and Honor, Glory and Power be unto Him.” AMEN.